Department of Childhood Diseases
Department of Childhood Diseases was established in January 1950, it was headed by associate professor Y.Z. Weiner, a graduate of the Odessa Medical Institute, a veteran of World War II. During 9 years (1950-1959), he trained many generations of doctors. The children's department of the regional hospital with 15 beds and the children's department at the city hospital with 40 beds served as the bases for training. NP Dzendzelivska, a graduate of Odessa Medical Institute, participant of the World War II, was the Department Assistant for over 15 years. The established department existed as an independent unit until 1959, later as a result of the reorganization of the departments of the Faculty, it was attached as the course of Childhood Diseases to the Health Department, this course was transferred to the Department of Neurology in in 1963. In 1964 Department of Childhood Diseases was reestablished again with the courses of Infectious Diseases and Epidemiology and Propaedeutics of Internal Diseases. In 1965 the department was transformed into the course of Childhood Diseases, which was attached to the Department of Surgery, and then transferred to the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
In 1963 the course of Childhood Diseases led PhD, later professor L.K. Yefimova, a graduate of Kharkov Medical Institute. In 1968 the course of Childhood Diseases was attached to the Department of Infectious Diseases with Epidemiology course. At that time, the amount of basic health facilities had grown: Children's Municipal Hospital with 120 beds, Children's Infectious Disease Clinic with 40 beds, neonatal department of Municipal and Regional Maternity Hospital for 140 beds and Children’s Municipal Consultation that were used for the process of training. In 1981 by order of the Ministry of Higher and Secondary Education of the USSR the Department of Childhood Diseases with trhe courses of Pathology and Forensic Medicine was created. It was headed by MD, professor L.K.Yefimova. Since 1995 the department staff included one professor, three associate professors (specialists in patanatomy V.P.Antonenko, V.P.Lebedevska, forensic scientist N.P.Lyashenko), 8 assistants (L.Y. Dvortsyna, V.D. Symulyk, V.V. Kucheruk, N.H. Malyovanyk, V.M. Bilak, V.Y.Mashyka, A.I. Tomei, N.Y. Andrashko).
Since 2002, the Department of Childhood Diseases has been headed by MD, professor A.M. Gorlenko. During her supervision 12 candidate theses in Pediatrics, Gastroenterology, Orthopedics and Traumatology have been defended.
Since 2007, the Department has issued scientific journal for pediatricians and family physicians “Problems of Clinical Pediatrics ", which has been on the list of professional publications of Medicine (HAC of Ukraine Presidium Decree № 1-05 / on November 18, 2009) since 2009.
Since 2012, the Department of Childhood Diseases has participated in the project "Implementation of new opportunities to provide better care for patients with cystic fibrosis in the Transcarpathian region", that runs within the CBC Programme Hungary - Slovakia - Romania - Ukraine 2007-2013 and is funded by the European Union through the European Neighbourhood and Partnership Instrument.
The Department staff takes part in international conferences in various fields of Pediatrics in Slovakia, Poland, France, Denmark, Thailand, Russia., Australia, Turkey, Slovenia, Romania and Hungary.
All documents of the department comply with the provisions and the orders of the Ministry of Health and Ministry of Education of Ukraine. The training process is carried out according to standard programs of the Ministry of Health of Ukraine.