Coffee with the Dean / Coffee with a Student: Top 5 Reasons to Join the Faculty of Geography
We are having coffee remotely! Our today’s conversation is about the Faculty of Geography of UzhNU, one of the youngest faculties of the University with a strong team of teachers and a friendly team of students. We have asked the dean of the facuty Ivan Kalynych and a student Vadym Lutso why it's worth entering the faculty and what opportunities it gave to students.
Top 5 reasons from Vadym Lutso, a 3rd year student:
1. If you want to know more about your region and its natural resources, you should study with us.
2. Studying at the Faculty of Geography will allow you to get a permanent job and a specialty in highest demand!
3. Highly qualified teachers will help you to acquire in-depth knowledge of the chosen specialty, you will be able to gain practical skills by using modern equipment available in the laboratories of the Faculty of Geography of UzhNU.
4. Being a student of this faculty, you will get an opportunity to participate in numerous cross-border projects under the good-neighborliness programmes.
5. You can make new friends, travel a lot and do sports here!
Ivan Kalynych, the Dean of the Faculty of Geography:
My reasons to choose the Faculty of Geography are the following:
1. Most applicants associate the Faculty of Geography with the romance of traveling, interesting and meaningful educational and industrial practices. Our students have the opportunity to obtain a prestigious engineering specialty, which provides ample opportunities for employment in Ukraine and abroad.
2. All types of specialists trained by the faculty are in extreme demand in the regional and national labour market. The graduates of the faculty are employed by the leading institutions in the system of the Ministry of Ecology and Natural Resources of Ukraine, the Ministry of Regional Development, Construction, Housing and Communal Services of Ukraine, the State Emergency Service of Ukraine, the National Space Agency, the State Service of Ukraine for Geodesy, Cartography and Cadastre, the State Agency of Water Resources of Ukraine, Regional Forestry and Hunting Management, by scientific research, design and manufacturing enterprises, private institutions, regional, district and municipal administrative institutions, travel companies, small business, and as teachers of geography and ecology by educational institutions.
3. Students of the Faculty of Geography do not only study, they have the opportunity to get engaged in research work by using modern equipment including dual frequency GPS receivers, state-of-the-art electronic tacheometers, digital weather stations, topographic scanner for 3D modeling as part of the implementation of numerous cross-border projects under the good-neighbourliness programmes.
4. However, student life is not just lectures and tutorials. It is also an opportunity to find new friends, enjoy traveling, and play sports. There are student self-governance bodies actively functioning at the faculty. They organize and hold the events dedicted to the Day of Geography, Fresher’s Day, Miss Faculty competitions and Football and Volleyball Annual Dean’s Cup competitions. Our students perform well at the national olympiads.
5. A number of scientific conferences are held annually at the faculty, including the international scientific and practical conference "New technologies in geodesy, land management and nature management", all-Ukrainian and international student conferences "Young Astronomer School", "Dark Sky Park" and other activities on the issues related to geography, hydrology, hydrochemistry, hydroecology, cartography and tourism.
Geography students have the opportunity to listen to the lectures delivered by our top practitioners and scientists, to gain a broad overview of European experience in their chosen fields.