Coffee with the Dean / Coffee with a Student: Top 5 Reasons to Join the Faculty of Information Technologies
Despite the quarantine, we continue our traditional column! Today, you will learn top 5 reasons for entering the Faculty of Information Technologies of UzhNU from a student of the faculty Tetyana Melnychenko and the dean Ihor Povkhan.
Tetyana Melnychenko, a student:
1. All our teachers are highly qualified professionals, always ready to help and explain the information which is difficult to understand. Working at our faculty is a pleasure for them, therefore the learning process for students is always interesting and productive.
2. We have a great opportunity to study and work abroad, even while studying, of course, if this does not prevent us from acquiring new knowledge.
3. Some of our seniour students are officially employed by various companies. This is another proof of the high-quality education.
4. Our faculty teams have repeatedly won prizes at the national and international Olympiads. We have several teams taking part in programming competitions.
5. Our faculty is equipped with state-of-the-art facilities, including new computers and projectors. We can also do robotics. Recently our students created a 3D printer.
Ihor Povkhan, the dean:
1. The intensive development of information sciences and technologies is, beyond doubt, the main trend of modern society development. Information technologies make up the lion's share of modern high-tech products that are being manufactured, and most countries of the world spend a great deal of money and resources on their intensive development. In this regard, IT professionals are now in demand and highly paid.
2.The faculty trains highly qualified specialists in the following IT - specialties:
- software engineering;
- computer science;
- information systems and technologies.
All three specialties are interrelated and reinforce each other. The educational process at the faculty is provided by highly qualified teachers. The Faculty of Information Technologies is one of the few where the number of entrants is increasing every year. For example, last year we admitted 96 full-time first-year students compared to 82 students two years ago, and considering the students admitted after colleges and part-time students, the total number is 50% higher. We think, there are two reasons for such success:
a). the quality of knowledge that the faculty provides to its students;
b). comfortable student environment for future IT specialists, as well as mutual affable and friendly relations between students and teachers.
3. Students of the Faculty of Information Technologies are involved in the learning process not only through lectures, tutorials and laboratory classes, but also through extra-curricular activities. Our students are successful in programming Olympiads not only in Ukraine but also abroad. Our students' achievements in robotics and software development are also great. Local and foreign recruiters from IT companies hunt our successful students, and that is why most of them are employed from the third year of study. They have the opportunity to hone their professional skills at the annual Summer Programming Schools which have become international and are gaining in popularity every year. Thus, if 100 students from 15 Ukrainian and 3 Georgian universities attended the III International Programming School two years ago, 140 students from 20 Ukrainian universities and 1 Georgian university took part in the IV International School last year. The students of the faculty also take active part in the competition "StartUp Village" and the hackathon "Hack Your Mind", which are held annually at the faculty. Another advantage of the faculty is the Double Diploma Programme Agreement concluded between UzhNU and the Higher School of Economics and Management in Bratislava. According to this agreement, students pursuing their Master’s degrees with our faculty, can get two diplomas after graduation: a Ukrainian and a European one. It also means that they can practice abroad in the most famous IT companies of the European Union, including IBM.
4. Our students also take active part in the social life of the faculty, they are active participants of various charity events. This academic year our freshers climbed Polonyna Runa, and on the eve of St. Nicholas' Day, they visited Velykyi Bereznyi boarding school.
5. I cannot but say good words about our teachers. They are all professional, competent people, and they are also good at sports. They became the winners of the XI and XII sports competitions for teachers and staff of UzhNU. Their titles are the evidence of their professionalism. Professor Volodymyr Mitsa is the Merited Figure of Science and Technology of Ukraine, Academician of the Academy of Sciences of the Higher School of Ukraine, external member of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences. Professor Volodymyr Kozubovsky is a laureate of the State Prize in Science and Technology. Associate Professor Oleksandr Mitsa is an external member of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences, an Honoured Worker of Education of Ukraine, Associate Professor Oleksandr Laver is an Honoured Worker of Education of Ukraine. This list can be continued. Recently, Associate Professor Vasyl Laver became a member of the National Union of Writers of Ukraine.
Dear entrants, it’s time for you to make our your choice.